I've seen a few beauty posts done by some of my favorite bloggers lately, The Londoner being one of them and I was inspired to do a post of my own. I recently restocked my makeup collection and wanted to share some of my favorite new goodies, as well as my usual go to products.
January was exceptionally warm this year, so much so that people were skeptical that the snow was ever coming back...of course it did, and sadly we won't be feeling the warmth of the sun for a few more dreary months. The teaser spring however did inspire me to shop for some summer inspired makeup, just to get me through the rest of the winter.
First up, makeup brushes.
1. Sephora Contouring Kit: This kit wont break the bank and works well for applying bronzer, blush and highlighter. I am no makeup artist, but I recently found a contouring guide on pinterest, specific to face shape that is pretty easy to duplicate! Take a look.
2. MAC Prep and Prime BB Cream: I switched to Mac foundations and concealers a few years ago and have loved them ever since. I don't like to wear a lot of cover up because it tends to give me more acne, and covers up my freckles making me look like an entirely different person. The BB cream however, is nice and light, goes on smooth and you barely need any to fully cover your blemishes.
Benefit is one of my favorite makeup brands, as you can see I have a few of their products in my collection.
3. Hoola Bronzer: I have pretty fair skin and have always been a little timid using a dark bronzer. My sister has mentioned Hoola before and I stumbled upon a few other reviews of the product so decided to try it and and am happy with the results. It's not too dark once you blend it in, and goes great with the highlighter I use as well. Perfect for making you look more sun kissed than you actually are.
4. Hello Flawless: This powder can be used if you don't feel like using a foundation and just want to cover up some shine. I usually put it on after applying my MAC BB cream to set the makeup.
5. Okay, the star of the show, and my new best friend, Benefit's push up eye liner. This little gem has made applying eyeliner a breeze. It looks like typical liquid eyeliner, but it's far from it. I have always dreaded applying eye liner because getting the cat eye look is practically impossible with most liquid eyeliners out there. This liner has a special tip that makes shaping super easy, and you just have to twist the buttom if you run out. No mess, if you take anything away from this post, it's that your first world eyeliner problems will be solved using this product.
6. Sun Beam: Like I said before, I was craving summer so I decided to purchase it. I've never used a liquid highlighter before this one because I didn't want my face to look overly shiny and greasy. Sun beam gives you a simple glow, and paired with the Hoola bronzer you can pretend that you just came from the beach instead of the Arctic tundra.
7. For your on the go beauty needs, I recommend the new Naked palette. The main reason being the giant mirror because we all know how pathetic other palette mirrors are. The makeup isn't too bad as well, you have a contour set and aneye shadow palette all in one, plus lipstick, eyeliner and mascara - which is my other favorite piece. I ususally throw it in my bag if i'm going out and not sure if i'll be staying the night away from home or not.
Now for the fun part, getting all that gunk off your face at the end of the day.
8. Clinique, Clinique, and Clinique. It took me awhile to find a facial wash that didn't cause me to break out, or dried up my skin. After trying a few products, I always seemed to go back to clinque because it is gentle and simple. I use the three step kit, consisting of the makeup remover, facial soap, and clarifying lotion. Takes less than 10 minutes, and if I use it consistently I have pretty good results.
I really want to try the cleansing brush they just came out with, if any of you have tried it i'd love to hear what you think!
9. If your like me and don't want to hand over the cash for a cleansing brush, this gem works as a pretty good substitute. I typically only use it once every couple weeks, but it leaves my skin nice and smooth. It comes with cleaning pads so you just have to rinse with some water and click it on.
Lastly, my favorite hair products.
10. Bumble and Bumble: I am madly in love with anything from bumble and bumble, partly because every product smells incredible. The Dryspun finish spray, and Invisible oil are my two favorites at the moment. Dryspun works sort of like a hairspray giving extra body without making your hair feel sticky or rock hard. I use the oil after I shower, mainly on my ends to keep things shiny and healthy.
And there you have it. If you end up trying any of the products I suggested, let me know your thoughts.
Time to go study, happy Sunday!